Well, December is here and that starts the season of holiday get-togethers, candy at the office, more lunches and dinners out, more traveling for some and vacations and of course, more stress than normal. Remember, the average weight gain over the Holiday season is 6-8 pounds! Wouldn’t it be great to fall below the average?
There are a few important things you must remember in order to keep from being in the “AVERAGE”…
- Don’t skip a meal
- Stay away from fruit
- No beer or wine!!
- Peanut butter and cheese are too full of fat calories!!
- No Popcorn. It is healthy, but full of carbohydrates and will ramp up your blood sugar level.
Ok. So let’s go over a few strategies that will help you get through this tempting time.
- Seek Support! Let your family and friends know that you are watching what you eat and ask them to be supportive, not derailing.
- Be mindful of all the snacking you do, no matter how small. This includes “tasting” while preparing meals and goodies.
- Ask for sparkling water and lime instead of beer and wine
- If there is a special holiday food that you will feel deprived of if you don’t have…then take one or two bites-just a taste and you will be surprised how satisfying it is.
- Eat more of the salads and green veggies at a dinner party and make the meat a “side dish”
- Don’t serve family meals family-style. Keep pots and dishes away from the table where it’s all too easy to go for seconds!
- Learn to “eyeball” the proper serving size that is right for you and stick to them when dining out or dishing up meals.
- Make healthy meal choices and don’t let yourself get hungry before you go out to a party or restaurant. You’ll just end up eating more than you want to.
- Physical activity is a good way to burn calories and it makes you feel great before going to a party, and remember to drink a large glass of water on your way out the door! You’ll be less hungry when you arrive.
- Have Fun!!!! Become great at mingling…Become the life of the party!!!