Quick Reference to Dr. A’s Habits of Health:
- Ch 17
- Living a Longer, Healthier Life Companion Guide: Lesson 13
Healthy Habit of the Week: Get adequate, restful sleep
Sleep affects everything: the way we feel, look, work, eat and function. How different is life when we go to bed early, wake up rested, and slept great? Sleep is when we recover, repair, and even store short term memories into long term ones!
Here are some great things you can practice to make this a habit for life:
- Write a list of where you may struggle: The last time you stayed up late, what kept you up? Too long on the computer? TV or movies? Caffeine right before bed? Stress? An uncomfortable bed?
- Decide what you can change: If you were up late because of TV, what could you change to help you get to bed earlier? Change something this week and see how it goes!
- Notice your sleep: Have you noticed that when you eat better you sleep better? That when you have lost weight, your quality of sleep goes up?
- Use sleep as a tool: When we sleep, we store memories. Did you know the best time to study is right before bed? Pick something you care to remember, and make it part of your wind-down routine.